Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer Time. Easy Living.

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high
Oh, Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry
One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky
But until that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With your daddy and mammy standing by
Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high
Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry


There are at least 150 versions of this Jazz Standard by Gershwin.  It is my favorite song of all time.

If you haven't heard this tune oozing over the grimy/sticky balconies of a Berlin late-start summer already; get out more.  Or better yet, put your stereos to the windows and press play.  It is your pagan duty to welcome the sun.  Dance, monkey, dance.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I've seen that there is a Porgy and Bess showing in Berlin right now. I wonder what it is like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a musical I suppose. I'm not a big fan of musicals, but I do digs da jazz.

    db

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dancin'! Long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summertime can be great! Especially the songs...

    ReplyDelete